new laptop

myidisbb

for my boy. got 2 more for the reason of the family so they all stop bitching. working on his first. the attach file contains short cuts to what i have added to his laptop. also includes Office 2010 Pro. problem i am having is the hosts file. i have a large one i want to use but the laptop wasnt connecting to the internet. i waited a while a couple of times but figure something was up. attach is the host file i want to use. right now on his laptop is a hosts file minus the #BIMS HOSTS FILE 20111203 http://bluetack.co.uk stuff.

ANYWAY any thoughts on the hosts file i want to use and any thoughts about the laptop in general or software i should or shouldnt use.

Thank you.

HP LT G7-1219WM says its a notebook. Hardware

Product Number QE304UA#ABA

Microprocessor 1.65GHz VISION E2 Technology from AMD with AMD Dual-Core E-450 Accelerated Processor

Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache

Memory 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

Memory Max Maximum supported = 8GB looks like i got to buy RAM

Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6320 Discrete-Class Graphics

Video Memory Up to 1973MB

Hard Drive 500GB 5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner

Display 17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)

Network Card 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Sound SRS Premium Sound with Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard Full-size keyboard with numeric keypad

Pointing Device Touchpad with multitouch gesture support and on/off button

External Ports

Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital and Multimedia cards

3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

1 HDMI

1 VGA (15-pin)

1 RJ -45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out

1 Microphone-in

Other Devices HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Dimensions 16.22" (L) x 10.55" (W) x 1.22" (min H)/1.44" (max H)

Weight 6.05 lbs

Security

Kensington MicroSaver lock slot

Power-on password

Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

65W AC adapter

6-cell 47WHr lithium-ion battery

What's In The Box HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Product Name g7-1219wm

Software Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Operating System:

Free 60-day Norton Internet Security 2012 Subscription (deleted)

HP Support Assistant: Update your PC, troubleshoot problems and get technical support.; HP Power Manager: Adjust power settings for optimal battery life or performance.

HP Recovery Manager: Recover, restore, and create recovery media for, your PC.; HP Launch Box: Group key apps in the taskbar for fast launch and customize your own.

HP Setup Manager: Transfer files, set up backups, get connected and more-easily.

LoJack for Laptops

Security and Support:

HP Games powered by WildTangent; includes 5 free games valued at $100 MSRP. ; Magic Desktop powered by Easy Bits: Discover a safer, more fun and educational way to share your PC with kids.

Cyberlink PowerDVD (41)

Cyberlink YouCam BE

HP MyRoom: See yourself and friends, family or colleagues during video chats.

HP MusicStore powered by Rhapsody: Listen to all the music you want at one low monthly price. (15c); HP MovieStore powered by RoxioNow: Rent or buy the latest movies, TV shows and music videos. (15d)

Snapfish Picture Mover; eBay

Walmart Photo Center; Vudu

Zya Music Maker: Collaborate with famous artists to create and share your own music.

Multimedia:

Microsoft Office 2010 preloaded. (Purchase of a Product Key required to activate a full Office 2010 suite.) (34)

Windows Live Essentials 2011: Windows Live Mail; Windows Live Messenger; Windows Live Photo Gallery; Windows Live Movie Maker; Windows Live Writer; Windows Live Mesh

Productivity and Finance:

Internet Explorer 9

Bing Bar for IE 9 (Bing Bar 7)

HP webOS: Works like you–discover the difference.

Blio e-reader application with full color; includes 4 free digital books valued at $75 MSRP.

HP QuickWeb: Instant-on web browser with customizable widget dashboard.

Internet Solutions:

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are lucky, that in the States you can get nice prices for computers. I bought the new i5-2400 (so it's second gen., but anyway it's not a laptop); but I guess you're with AMD now. Anyway what's the deal with the HOSTS file, I really didn't understand?..

For what purpose are you using it, to protect the kid, or why? Sorry that I'm not getting it, if you're bother to specify pls? :)

Here's a one listing:

http://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

If you're looking to limit the spending on the web connection, there's Firefox with Noscript and Adblock Plus (with the Element Hiding Helper) and I saw here on the forums one of those nice HTTP web filtering (local proxy) programs 2.

PS. ^^ I'm guessing it can be an extra layer, with the hosts file... & there's Adblock for Chrome also; and Opera's got Fanboy @

http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/

from teh web and all there seems to be a problem with large hosts files and wiindow 7. (using home 64bit also) the nice BIIM hosts file list that blocks jsut about everything :P anyway had to install peerblock instead. that was a nice software. had to make a task on it as the web site said to make sure it runs each time. but what i found out is only the first account on the computer will have it load up at start. after 2 days of fightin on my girls computer i deleted her account and rename the first on i was gong to use for installing to her name. what i found out afterwards is it jsut renames the logon name and not the user name :P

• 2 months later...

Archived