Can I Install Windows From Internal Hard Drive?

mazigh

Hi, Is it possible to Install Windows XP or 7 (Lite Edition) from Internal Hard Drive?, I'm asking because a friend gave me an Old PC... I tried to boot from CD but.. I found it not Working.. Then I made a bootable USB..but the Old PC don't support it!, So I have no solution!

Hope Someone have some good solutions :)

• Replies 9
  • Views 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, but it would be limited to FAT32, if you want it readable in DOS mode.. that's what I always did before migrating to NTFS.. you access a specific folder in your drive, using a bootable DOS drive.. mine before had a bootable DOS img burned to CD, when floppy wasn't available..

maybe an easier solution is simply to yank out the "apparently" old and faulty CD drive and replace it with something working.. it might be a tad bit work, but once it's up and running, there really is no stopping you right?

if you don't have spare hardware lying around, maybe you can ask help from other geeky friends.. they might have something lying around for you..

never mess with a bootable usb. is it in an image? can you make an image on another cmoputer with it and then make a burn disk?

Thanks for replay... I tested hackerz14 solution...but at the end it didn't worked.. I press USB but it doesn't start loading..anyway thanks

Then I made a bootable USB..but the Old PC don't support it!, So I have no solution!

As far as Windows 7 is concerned, you don't have to install it at boot. Just explore your way to the USB drive from within Windows and run it. However, I'd suggest partitioning your drive beforehand. And yes, you're not restricted to FAT32. ;)

I've never tried this with XP, so sorry. :(

Make a primary partition on some other harddrive ( Computer > Manage > Disk Management ), you make a small primary partition where you can extract all files from iso and then make restart and you can start installing. Really can't get working CD/DVD rom? Sometimes you need to change in BIOS to enable USB boot or load CD before HDD or maybe CD has too many scratches.

you can using some programs such as UltraISO or PowerISO to for creat virtual optical drive and then mount the iso file to the drive and normally install windows

Archived