help with perfectdisk 12

Technology

I need help with perfectdisk12. my perfectdisk 12, keep Defragment restore point leaving no restore point behind...so therefore, I don't have any restore point left...after Defragmentation...

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need help with perfectdisk12. my perfectdisk 12, keep Defragment restore point leaving no restore point behind...so therefore, I don't have any restore point left...after Defragmentation...

you don't need to have a restore point..

perfect disk is almost safe

• Administrator

@Technology: I got your point. :)

Read this. I know it's talking about Vista, but the problem exists in Windows 7 too. After that, read this.

Basically, blame how the Restore Point / VSS system is designed. What it does is collect all the data from the drive and backup / create restore point of some of it. Now, when it detects that there's an significant change of data on the drive, that is after you manually or automatically defrag / optimize by PerfectDisk, it (Window's VSS) automatically deletes the restore points, thinking that lot has changed and needs to re-cached/re-saved. Hence, it deletes all the restore points, in order to create new one.

PerfectDisk itself does NOT defrag restore points as mentioned here.

I fear there's no real solution to the problem. What you can do is:

Go in global settings of PerfectDisk > System Resource Priority > VSS Compatibility Mode, make sure that Optimize using VSS compatible mode is enabled and set to 30% or more. This will not allow PerfectDisk to fully optimize the drive but may help.

Or, you can select "Do not optimize the drive" in the above thing. I believe normal defrag should work, please check.

Or, you can totally forget system restore, by disabling it, or by letting it store the data as long as PerfectDisk allows.

Or, you can schedule PerfectDisk to optimize every month instead of full ON defrag and scheduled weekly defrag.

Or you can totally forget PerfectDisk or DiskKeeper or any such optimizer and go back to defrag only softwares. :P

As I said, there's no real solution here. Only workaround is to live with crippled version of either restore points or PD. Or stop using either one of them.

I personally like all the auto-system backup things disabled. Takes a lot of space. Keep manual backups. :)

thanks for the advice, it is very helpful...I think i might go to SMARTdefrag (iobit), what is the review on Smartdefrag software, I know from CNET have giving 5/5 ratting. But I use to use 1.5 version it didn't get the job done..Do anyone have better defrag in mind....

I've had the same problem with different defrag programs before. Sometimes restore points are kept sometimes not. I never thought too much about it as I make regular full backups and use them as my restore points.

Archived