Web browser suggestions?

myidisbb

vista 64. using IE 9. i think its slower now because of the ip address im blocking in my host file.

anyway, what other web broswers wyoudl you recommend to isntall and what files i need to get for them thats extra from the installment?

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Firefox - Chrome - Opera. All are good. Even though I personally use Firefox, you should try Chrome. But try them all and stick with what you like. There's nothing else / additional thing that you need to install to make them work.

hmm, you mean like specifically x64 compatible? well, im not sure about what browsers are x64 compat. but it's easy to check :) but the normal x32 versions should work fine i think anyway.

i'd say firefox if you like to customize it how you want. but if you want a browser that "just works", then google chrome would be your best bet - light, and minimalistic design like ie9.

hmm, though tbh i dont know what you mean by the extra parts you're thinking about? like addons to get rid of ads, etc?

i hope i've helped a bit :)

i htought there was little add ons i kept reading about that you guys talk about that gave little tricks that ie couldnt do etc

IE9 is very good, and it has addons too. It's most possible that any slowdowns you experience would be felt in any browser. But you should give them all a try to see if you like one... they won't mess your PC. Most popular browsers have all kinds of tricks and settings hidden under the hood that would make them even better, so don't judge them completely after just one look. One needs a few months to understand how their browser works.

Internet Explorer 9 is an excellent browser, specially in graphics intensive websites - it's unrivaled. But like everything, it has it's own defects, like it's slower JavaScript performance in contrast to other major browsers, but the main reason I stopped using it is because of the lack of 'spell-check' feature, which is very important to me, but might be insignificant to others. Though there's a 3rd-party spell checker, it's not very efficient or easy to use, but I only know of one spell check (I forgot it's name), there could be more out there which are efficient and easy to use. And that is correct that slowdowns might be felt in any browser, and you should try them all and see what one suits you best.

For Firefox:

https://addons.mozil.../en-US/firefox/

For Chrome:

https://chrome.googl.../webstore?hl=en

For Opera:

https://addons.opera...ons/extensions/

Or you wanna know which addons to install or are recommended? :)

yes which addons to isntall and recommended thank you

btw with reference to not seeing the edit button. it seems after posting i have to refresh the page in order to see the edit button for that message.

If you feel the need to keep tons of tabs open to fill your huge ram and wanna test stuff then start using Firefox Nightly? it's 64bit and gets updates almost everyday and you can post your progress and dislikes in it's community forum. No clue yet when major 64bit specific stuff will land, they might offer 32bit plugins to work inside 64bit browser someday when they feel the times right. Java, pdf, Flash, Silverligth are with 64bit plugins atm though.

Most people use Firefox cause of lots of tweaks + extensions like adblock. + it has more native GPU usage than the rest although ATI users still need to wait for driver fix to get lower GPU clocks during scrolling normal sites :( , NVDIA's latest build already includes some kind of tweak, no clue how they made it and if performance is or isn't lowered on all web content.

I don't prefer Chrome cause of it has too few ways to tweak for my needs and it's harddrive usage is too huge, 300mb to much waste. ( when there is update then your older version will be kept as backup )

Opera isn't good for me cause it has too much features I don't need built in and their option to load websites with less bandwidth is terribly slow compared to normal browsing.

Opera Turbo worked just fine for me, on a lousy Huawei E1750 HSPA 7.2 mbps (supposedly...) modem. Its primary purpose is to help with very slow connections and make them tolerable, and it manages this pretty nicely.

Archived