IDM slows my computer to a crawl

Knightmare

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured that admins would prefer this rather than make a new topic.

Tried IDM, but it slowed my computer to a crawl; and I tried JDownloader, but didn't like the extra software that had to be installed with it. MiPony was another one I tried. I don't know if it had anything to do with the problem that I experienced, but after installing it, Tor got corrupted(?), and Malwarebytes' and VMWare Workstation had closed unexpectedly. I'm not sure if the new version of Tor is to blame or not, but does anyone have any other suggestions? I like IDM, it just REALLY slowed me down. Anyone have an idea as to why?

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

clearly, you got so many apps running and which one had affected what settings and/ or infected your PC is rather hard to guess.

I'd say install hijackthis and post the log

I split your post on a new topic. Having a few IDM related posts on the "Best Dowload Manager" topic would not be really OK.

If you describe your "crawl" as exactly as you can, with details about what processes consumed CPU/RAM etc. and what exactly caused the slowness (was your CPU at 100%? was the disk always working? Was the RAM full? etc.), there is a better chance for you to get a spot on response :)

PS: antiviruses/security software are well known to interfere in all kinds of OS operations. Try to disable yours and see what happens.

I split your post on a new topic. Having a few IDM related posts on the "Best Dowload Manager" topic would not be really OK.

If you describe your "crawl" as exactly as you can, with details about what processes consumed CPU/RAM etc. and what exactly caused the slowness (was your CPU at 100%? was the disk always working? Was the RAM full? etc.), there is a better chance for you to get a spot on response :)

PS: antiviruses/security software are well known to interfere in all kinds of OS operations. Try to disable yours and see what happens.

Crawl as in it's slower to boot, and when it's downloading something, it takes longer to load websites; some of them even timeout. I didn't check to see how much RAM or CPU it used. I don't have an antivirus so that's definitely not the issue. I think it just hogs my internet. Is anyone having trouble with the new version of the Vidalia Bundle?

If you have your system configured to use the Proxy.. your startup priorities is going to be to acquire a network connection at boot.. Therefore your system is waiting to timeout before it boots.. and before Vidalia has started..

When you are using Tor you will also realize that Polipo and Vidalia Controller are running.. sometimes the cache for Polipo causes this issue..You may want to address the advanced configurations.. Also some sites block IP Ranges and filter traffic from Onion Routers.. some of which have been used to circumvent websites in one way or another.. So it could be the reason you are timing out.. or even other configurations.. which can effect it..

Finally your speed of which you can load websites and do downloads is limited by the available bandwidth allocated by the router or routers you are using.. so speeds may vary.. if you are taxing a router you could be disconnected or even slowed down depending on the priority.. It really can fluctuate however.

If your on XP.. and have altered or patched your connection limit well beyond that which is necessary .. it could also be a problem if your system is making too many simultaneous connections at once..

So you could have a bottleneck or misconfiguration, or side effect that could be causing this issue.. Along with targets that may have used the same address or proxy your using as well.... You never know.. sometimes filtering can be a good thing..

EDIT: IDM Connection number and limits may also be a key thing as well as simultaneous downloads...

• Administrator

One question, did you turn / checked "Use advance browser integration" in Options?

It would seem IDM is hogging all your bandwidth while downloading thus webpage tends to open irregularly.

As for slow boot up.....did IDM starts auto when Windows' starts?

Though this had not happen with me since first started with IDM.

Archived