VMware Workstation 8.0 discussion thread

Olexijl

Hi guys,

Installed VMware Workstation 8. After installing Win7 x86 with easy install i have experienced crashes of the complete hosts and guest system. The message "unrecoverable error" appeared after some actions and forced me to reboot my PC completely.

This happened only after installing Win7 in VMware several times. After such "unrecoverable errors" the VM is not usable and needs to be reinstalled.

Never had such problems in VMware Workstation 7. I was forced to switch to Workstation 7 now.

I am not somebody who does not know how to configure VM's but i think they should fix the crashes of the hosts and guest. So i warn to use this especially when they want to have modern x64 CPU installed.

My specs: Win7 x64

4 GB RAM

Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20Ghz

Somebody experienced problems?

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody experienced problems?

Sorry to hear about your experience with VMWare WS 8.

I faced no such problem with the Host from the following guests:

- Windows XP PRO

- Linux Ubuntu

- Windows Developer Preview

My specs:

Win7 x64

4 GB RAM

Intel Core i5-2500

Works brilliantly here <_< Host W7 64, guests W7 32 and xp 32. Great software and even easier to use than V7.

Version 8.0.0 build-471780

LOL,.....

Warning: At present time the software not recommended

Maybe the sub-title should be updated for this topic? :wub:

Olexijl, you should maybe try a more forgiving subtitle. It's not like VMWARE 8 is unstable or buggy for the majority of the users.

Maybe everyone else has problems but us? :o I'll wait for confirmation :D

Only problem I had was importing an old vm created in V7, but that was down to me not knowing what I was doing, the tools wouldn't work. Fresh installs have been problem free, no crashes or problems.

Olexijl, you should maybe try a more forgiving subtitle. It's not like VMWARE 8 is unstable or buggy for the majority of the users.

@toyo: If you want to edit the subtitle, please do it. I do not know how to edit topics subtitle after creation...

@everyone: As for my probs:

1. Install Win7 with easy install (without serial or with the one)

2. Try to create Windows Experience Index (either cancel this on half or create one)

3. Try to change something sufficient in the guest OS.

I experienced those "unrecoverable errors" then.

As for recommendation, i still do not recommend it. If you do not have x64 CPU, the install will fail. If you do not have 4 GB RAM, do not come with installing such a thing either.

In VMware WKS7 created Win7 installations can wonderfully create Windows Experience Index. The setup can be installed on x86 CPU. Never experienced probs and run wonderfully.

I never use easy install, I create vm first and install later. Shouldn't think it makes a difference though really. Always install guest on a different HDD or Partition, especially if your pc is limited.

I never use easy install, I create vm first and install later. Shouldn't think it makes a difference though really. Always install guest on a different HDD or Partition, especially if your pc is limited.

Thanks. The only reason why i install via easy install is that it is much quicker.

No, my PC is not limited. See my specs in the first post.

Archived