Windows 7 64 bit, YES or NO?

tysroby

I have never tried a 64 bit version of any Windows OS. So my question is: is it better then the 32 bit version? Does the PC run smoother, is there better resource management? Should I install it?

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Though question to answer. I did hear about 64-bit being faster than 32-bit but I don't have any proof. But technologically speaking, 64-bit is going to be better than 32-bit.

Practically, it addresses more than 4GB of RAM. Has better security that includes but not limited to kernel patch protection. There are many more backend, and not so visible features.

Problems are, not all drivers are available, drivers need to be signed by M$, and it's not recommended unless you have 3GB RAM or more. These are not big deal though.

Do note, except security softwares, most of the 32-bit softwares run fine on 64-bit OS.

Bottom line: It's not too much different from 32-bit IMO, but if you have 3GB or more, I'll certainly recommend.

I have Windows 7 32-bit on this laptop and 64-bit on another laptop.and 64-bit seems to boot up faster (then again,the other laptop is newer,has more+faster memory..)

But as DKT27 said .. If u got 3Gb or more RAM,I'd definitely go for 64-bit..

@DKT: Drivers don't need to be signed by M$, if you run Win7 in "Test mode" ..

@anyone asking about what is "Test Mode" do a forum search. :)

EDIT:

or.. go directly to HERE (Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b) ,it's FREEWARE.

You can disable+enable Test Mode with that quite easily. (All explained on that page..)

I have been using for 6 months and I always try using of new programs. My system has no problem and works well.

My OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

me too it seems working fine..but my problem is that i cannot my usual game..i dont know if the problem is my videocard or my system. btw, my direct direct3d is not enabled in dxdiag for 32bit...

all in all..it is a good system..plus it is true some programs are not compatible..but it is fast and will maximize your resources. i have 2gb of ram lol but it can take it...

id go with 64 bit if your gonna do a new install its more secure and stable

but if your an advanture type give windows 8 a try

If not good old XP, then Win7 32 bit, then, if you feel adventurous (ie had 32 bit W7 already) have a go at 64 bit... or as zed says try W8 and give us tips as how and what :ph34r:

I mean- 32 bit is perfec! 64 bit... why really, W8 might surprise you , but experience (annoyances, that are almost impossible to overcome in x64) are waste of time and in a sense-"total n00b would benefit from"... I'd test multible boot with OSFree or linux or even W8

I have never tried a 64 bit version of any Windows OS. So my question is: is it better then the 32 bit version? Does the PC run smoother, is there better resource management? Should I install it?

There are advantages and disadvantages:

Pro Win7 x64:

+ improved memory (RAM) managment

+ better managment of all resources

+ x86 (32 bit) programs still working

Contra Win7 x64:

- not every driver is compatible

- search for compatible programs needed

I personally installed Win7 Ultimate x64.

You have 4 GB RAM and more? Then, please use x64.

Less then 4 GB RAM? Please stay with x86.

You wanna to have fixes and cracks working? If the fix is not for x64 suitable, then it will not work. Stay with x86. If you decided to install x64, then please install proper fixes, otherwise many of them won't work.

• Administrator

Don't worry though, Daz Loader works perfect fine on x64. :rolleyes:

I think the question is "Can your computer support x64?"

• Administrator

I think the question is "Can your computer support x64?"

Most computers do. Most of the modern day CPUs support it and I'm running it on a 2GB RAM.

Yes, my computer does support 64 bit Windows and I also have only 2GB RAM. But I think I will wait till I upgrade it to 4GB before giving it a try. Thanks to everybody for their insight on this topic and for your advices.

Yes, my computer does support 64 bit Windows and I also have only 2GB RAM. But I think I will wait till I upgrade it to 4GB before giving it a try. Thanks to everybody for their insight on this topic and for your advices.

My win7 ultimate sp1 x64 works fine on my 2gb ram laptop; But sometimes, when I ran many programs, I do feel the need for more ram. :( Bafta.

I have been using x64 windows 7 Ultimate on my i3 laptop with 8GB of RAM and have not look back since.

You can try win8 for all I know its pretty stable, tried it since the first bits were leaked even before the dev preview/M3, but you might have some problems with driver signing under x64 so disable that before bootup !

asucme windows 8 uses less ram

http://blogs.msdn.co...-windows-8.aspx

give it a try

Archived