Mozilla Firefox 8.0 BETA 1 - ALREADY seems faster Than 7.0

Ambrocious

I just installed the beta of 8.0 beta 1 and I can notice the HUGE difference in the speed of the browser. It's faster already in BETA 1. One would suspect it to not be the case exactly in BETA 1 but it is. This makes me pretty fascinated in the future of firefox because it seems to get faster and faster.....obviously. Just ranting I suppose but I'm just surprised that the first BETA is already so good.

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just installed the beta of 8.0 beta 1 and I can notice the HUGE difference in the speed of the browser. It's faster already in BETA 1. One would suspect it to not be the case exactly in BETA 1 but it is. This makes me pretty fascinated in the future of firefox because it seems to get faster and faster.....obviously. Just ranting I suppose but I'm just surprised that the first BETA is already so good.

ff 9 = separate tab process (chrome style) soo most ppl are looking forward to that

This holds true for firefox & other mozilla products(thunderbird, seamonkey) that have active nightly, alpha/beta channels. The reason is cause mozilla actively introduces new features in those nightly builds that trickle down the alpha/beta stages besides the JS engine improvements & support for more html5 elements. This way the bugs(major/minor) are ironed out before reaching a final version(7even in this case) also the custom builds on their ftp servers dole out other enhancements/features & UI in some cases. Firefox is still by far the most active open source project on earth, this other day I read that there are 450M(75% of total) addons which are not hosted on mozilla's site taking the grand total to ~600M which is astonishing to say the least. The fact is chrome only beats FF due to SPDY elsewhere most chromium browser elements fall behind including extensions !

If you find Fx 8 beta to be fast, wait till you try Fx 10 nightly :thumbsup:

Sl@pSh0ck™' timestamp='1317358210' post='339926']

true

Nightly master race user here! ^_^

Sl@pSh0ck™' timestamp='1317358210' post='339926']

true

Nightly master race user here! ^_^

FF 6 to FF7 for me, there's hardly any improvements =\. maybe my PC is too fast, guess on my laptop it will be awesome :wub:

ONE Placebo effect people.. Truly.. you should run a cmd prompt and run firefox.exe -p, setup a clean profile and see how fast 7 is without extensions...The Betas and Alphas both disable certain extensions in some cases making them faster.. and the difference can be one or two extensions that slow down your browser and startup..

I say this because I noticed it almost right of in 7Beta and 9 Nightly.. 10 is nice too.. Added in my extensions and I could see the slow down.. but just as a small point.. It has been a long time since I have done extension testing in Fx.. to make sure I didn't have something slowing it down or wasn't clean n the code side.. Console and all that.. waiting for the new extension platform.. but I think it is something to keep in mind as simple as it may sound..

Will Firefox also be releasing a 64 bit of final version 8?or its still in pre testing stage?flash 64 bit final is coming soon.

• Administrator

Will Firefox also be releasing a 64 bit of final version 8?or its still in pre testing stage?flash 64 bit final is coming soon.

At first, they were planning to have it in Firefox 8 but that doesn't seem the case anymore. It's 2nd on their priority list. The reason seems that Mozilla feels that it will receive more backlash from the public if the plugins don't work. But I'm guessing that Mozilla will only go forward after 64-bit Flash and Silverlight final is released. From the looks of it, Mozilla seems a bit too casual about it.

At first, they were planning to have it in Firefox 8 but that doesn't seem the case anymore. It's 2nd on their priority list. The reason seems that Mozilla feels that it will receive more backlash from the public if the plugins don't work. But I'm guessing that Mozilla will only go forward after 64-bit Flash and Silverlight final is released. From the looks of it, Mozilla seems a bit too casual about it.

As far as I recall all the 64bit plugins for Windows work perfectly well in FF since version 4(nightly) also flash 11 as well as silverlight 5(both RC) are available in 64bits so there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever ! The only real trouble is when people are reluctant to try out something new fearing stability/security but I can say from my experience that 64bit versions of FF, thunderbird, seamonkey are as stable any other versions out there, since I've been trying them out from the beginning I can say this with strong conviction !

• Administrator

As far as I recall all the 64bit plugins for Windows work perfectly well in FF since version 4(nightly) also flash 11 as well as silverlight 5(both RC) are available in 64bits so there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever ! The only real trouble is when people are reluctant to try out something new fearing stability/security but I can say from my experience that 64bit versions of FF, thunderbird, seamonkey are as stable any other versions out there, since I've been trying them out from the beginning I can say this with strong conviction !

Well, unlike many Firefox features mentioned on Mozilla wiki, the 64-bit page mentions nothing about when or how do they plan to release them. I didn't dig the bugzilla but I guess I'll look into it later. So never know what's on their mind. Do note though, plugins are not limited to Flash, Java or Silverlight. But they should follow if Firefox does it. Lets see then.

I am reluctant to let go of 4.. keep 7 main.. and install Beta.. and already have Nightly.... what do you think I should do..

Well, unlike many Firefox features mentioned on Mozilla wiki, the 64-bit page mentions nothing about when or how do they plan to release them. I didn't dig the bugzilla but I guess I'll look into it later. So never know what's on their mind. Do note though, plugins are not limited to Flash, Java or Silverlight. But they should follow if Firefox does it. Lets see then.

The only way mozilla is gonna come up with a final version of 64bit FF is when & if chrome will threaten not only its marketshare, which it already does, but the very existence of Mozilla's brainchild FF but I fear that the sands of time are set in motion slipping away from our hands ever so slowly ! It was similar in case of Windows vs anything else in the 90's, but windows then was & still is the most refined & versatile OS, except this time chromium open souce project backed up by Google is growing exponentially & the facebook loving braindeads worldover don't know much else besides the "uh oh shiny chrome thingy" :frusty:

• Administrator

The only way mozilla is gonna come up with a final version of 64bit FF is when & if chrome will threaten not only its marketshare, which it already does, but the very existence of Mozilla's brainchild FF but I fear that the sands of time are set in motion slipping away from our hands ever so slowly ! It was similar in case of Windows vs anything else in the 90's, but windows then was & still is the most refined & versatile OS, except this time chromium open souce project backed up by Google is growing exponentially & the facebook loving braindeads worldover don't know much else besides the "uh oh shiny chrome thingy" :frusty:

Haha. I don't like Google Chrome myself. But I can tell you one thing, yes some FF users are fully switching to Chrome, but most of the rest are from IE.

Haha. I don't like Google Chrome myself. But I can tell you one thing, yes some FF users are fully switching to Chrome, but most of the rest are from IE.

The most interesting part about the switchover is that people like chrome cause its fast, now I know I've mentioned it many times before but the only reason chrome outstrips FF in network tests is SPDY(peacekeeper will confirm that chrome is 4 to 5 times faster than any other browser except the yet to be released Amazon silk) FF rules in every other aspect btw for those having an Mbps or more of net speed you won't notice the difference anyway which makes me feel its more like a placebo effect or maybe the result of some blitzkrieg ad campaign by Google !

If your worried about your Networking configuration ( a can of worms -per connection ) try using Fasterfox Lite..

I already have fasterfox(by CCman) incase of slow networks(EDGE/UMTS) btw that SPDY part I was referring to helps chrome score big in peacekeeper results, without it chrome perhaps would be slower as compared to Opera as well as FF nightly/alpha ;)

If your worried about your Networking configuration ( a can of worms -per connection ) try using Fasterfox Lite..

I already have fasterfox(by CCman) incase of slow networks(EDGE/UMTS) btw that SPDY part I was referring to helps chrome score big in peacekeeper results, without it chrome perhaps would be slower as compared to Opera as well as FF nightly/alpha ;)

For whatever reason the regular Fasterfox doesn't seem as fast as the Lite version... on my systems anywya.. :dunno: but point taken about the real part you were referring too..

Well thing is there are only a few spots where Chrome based browsers are faster than my Fx.. I am not for sure about other systems and such.. but mine is. I also operate ALL of my browser's without a cache, and literally everything is cleared from them after usage... I never really said I didn't like them.. I hate Chrome itself because of issue with privacy.. IMPO... and I have noticed that when you add just a few extensions they all fall down face first... IF I was going to switch however I would probably go to Opera first... I hate the UI of chrome.. and I even started to hate the design of FF.. but I think I would have to make a list of these things and it really isn't the point.. Mozilla is working on a few things.. I am glad they are.. right now with what I have altered in the browser .. I don't mind waiting on Fx or dealing with those few areas..

Archived