SpeedyFox (Database Optimizer)

mrsmith

Hello,

I was wondering about SpeedyFox. I use it and I see you recomend it. If you go to SpeedyFox homepage: http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox you will see this:

Version history:

1.6 Added option to run Firefox after optimization (also when running using command line). SQLite engine is updated to 3.7.4 version.
1.5 SpeedyFox for Mac! Latest SQLite engine (3.7.3) support
1.4.3 Latest SQLite engine (3.7.1) support
1.4.2 Unicode profile/path names support
1.4.1 Windows 2000 support, main icon display is fixed, small bug fixes
1.4 command line support, see menu Help->Command line syntax for details
1.3 Better optimization (all databases), fixed issue of detecting if Firefox is running
1.2 Ability to select custom Firefox profiles
1.1 Portable and 5 times smaller executable
1.0 Initial release

the part that interests me is this:

SQLite engine is updated to 3.7.4 version.

Seems kind of outdated to me. Also CCleaner also optimizes Firefox database and I use it as well. I am wondering if SpeedyFox was necessary or even "good" to use with Firefox v7 or 8. Or at least redundant since CCleaner does the same thing and is always updated.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used it on both 4, 7 and 9, will be trying it on 10.. Everything seems to optimize well.. Places still seems to grow however.. stay larger.. I haven't experienced any issues and I think the version number your looking at do not pertain to the Fx version number... in fact I don't even think 3.7 anything was released from Mozilla.

unknownasphyxiated

it will be updated to latest sqlite version but they don't tell when

i prefer speedyfox because i'm using firefox portable

Yes.. IF your worried about loosing something.. Copy your profile and run it on the original.. Then restart and see if you have some snappiness back and start up times certain little small areas are a little faster...Seems to lighten it up some.. which if you understand what it does.. it makes some of the processing quicker more precise and the data smaller..

Just try it.. :) Blah.. LOL

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this one of the few extra programs that optimizes Firefox a bit.. without running any extra services or files constantly... and like new install response.. Other areas can be helped in other ways but that would be down to figuring that out.. and addressing it..

Archived