HELP - USB keys not accessible

niharjhatn

Hey guys :)

I'm in a bit of a pickle, for some reason none of my USB keys are working on my laptop.

I had uninstalled a program using Revo, which MAY have affected my registry, but even doing a system restore later has not been able to fix it. USB mouse, keyboard / work fine on all ports.

The usb key opens fine and works perfectly on my desktop, but when I open them on my laptop I initially get the message:

"You need to format the disk in Drive G: before you can use it", offering me to format it.

If I close the window, I get:

COVw2.jpg

Its a bit of a problem, as I have been doing some research that has been concluding and we've been compiling all the data, and email is a bit too inefficient, plus some of the images + files etc are pretty large..

Any help is appreciated!!

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bet is that error caused by you unplugging USB devices without safe-remove.

I'd recommend running Yamiscoft registry cleaner after restarting PC and restart PC again. Thus should help in finding/installing ex'faulty device. If not- BUS controller burned- no fix is available (apart from changing MOBO)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply!

I've run yamicsoft as you suggested, but has not helped.

I must stress this is happening WITH ALL such FAT32 format storage devices, but the devices themselves are perfect functional (i.e. on other computers)... just BAM and it started happening today.

First of all Revo it`s a great program but you should be carefull when you use it , otherwise you will have problems like you have now :

- the `Scan Mode` should be left to moderate

- at `Found leftover Registry items` you should check ONLY items that are written with bold caracters and NEVER items written with red letters

When you saw that you have problems with that USB stick , you should have done a `Custom Restore` from Revo`s `BackUp Manager` (selecting the proper item) . Now , at this moment , I don`t believe you can use that option .... (you already did a System Restore from windows) - maybe a system repair with the Windows DVD could solve your registry corruption (asuming that the problem is at windows registry - and not USB key) .

Edit : I must agree with Atasas -> removing USB key from comp. when it was still in use it`s a very common cause of USB keys malfunction .

Edit 2 : I had also a USB key that didn`t work on my laptop , but was ok when used in desktop . I had to reinstall Windows - I did not repair the corrupted registry because the system was already messed up by some virused patches wich I had installed for games .

Edit 3 : there is a tool , I don`t remember it`s name , that can search for all external devices have been connected ever at that computer - and with a contextual menu you can remove the ones you want .

Thanks a lot for your help, definitely do that in the future. As it is, am doing a full re-image of the computer, been a while.

I had a few suggestions here to check.. now that you are doing a system reinstall it probably won't matter.. As far as Revo is concerned however I don't use it..

I had the same issue a while back...probably brought on by Revo...didn't know to leave the red left-overs alone. :rolleyes:

It didn't do it 'every' time I used USB sticks...just on occasion. I also was unable to use the Win7 USB Install Tool or any USB Boot tools. I used Low Level Fomat and got mixed results. In the end, I ended up reinstalling W7 too... <_<

Archived