Running a Windows x64 Guest on VirtualBox?

Chris`

Am I going to be anle to run VirtualBox on my Win7 Ultimate sp1 x64 machine if my cpu does not have hardware-assisted virtualization??

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so. What's the CPU model?

I'm running VB from an old Intel C2D E7200, without hardware virtualisation features, with obvious limitations though.

• Administrator

Yes you can.

You don't need any hardware visualization to run any OS (32-bit or 64-bit) if you yourself are on 64-bit OS. :)

Yes.. Its not a real problem.. is a nice help to running it I think.. but not a necessity unless they have made it a requirement.. That being said you will not be able to run MacOSX in VB without it.. and your processing power is shared between OSes.. which can be a real problem with single core low power CPU's...

Good to check your BIOS to make sure though.

It's a problem even with a pretty fast (like 3.5 GHz) dual-core CPU. Don't expect real performance if you cannot give the VM 2 cores (impossible to properly allocate such things without the virtualisation instructions) and some RAM. Win 7 x32 runs very crappy with 512 MB, slow with 1 GB and normal with 2 GB. Expect lots of HDD thrashing if you don't give it the RAM.

I have a pentium dual core t4500 2.3ghz.

When trying to install windows 7 64 bit from DVD i get this error:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the

cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer

manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

which I don't understand because I am running Win 7 Ultimate sp1 x64

*edit* It's letting me install Windows 7 x86 fine. Can anybody explain to me how I can get it to run x64?

I don't think you can without proper virtualisation support on the CPU. I couldn't install a x64 guest either, so I downloaded Home Premium x86...

Thanks Toyo, that is what I've done as well!

• Administrator

Read this:

On any host, you should enable the I/O APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode. This is especially true for 64-bit Windows VMs. See the section called “"Advanced" tab”. In addition, for 64-bit Windows guests, you should make sure that the VM uses the Intel networking device, since there is no 64-bit driver support for the AMD PCNet card; see the section called “Virtual networking hardware”.

@DKT27

Thanksfor that but I have already done it and still the same result.

Well I didn't check I/O APIC since it said something of decreased performance. Oh well, Home Premium x86 works just fine anyway as a VM, actually I'm glad I couldn't install my Ultimate x64, there aren't any benefits I can think of for what I use the VM for.

Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with x86 Homer premium. Your right I can't see any benefits either!!

• Administrator

@Chris`: I see. Well I'm out of ideas than. :)

But I agree with toyo. There's no need to have x64 as a guest unless you have about 8GB system RAM on which you wanna allocate more than 4GB to the VM.

I used to run into this but a few settings tweaks got me back on track.. BUT this was on x86... Sometimes it was the VHD settings being proper and sometimes the CPU settings.. but both could cause the problem.. I also used to make sure to make the changes save and close the program and restart it to get some of the settings to be used properly.. Sounds odd but it worked.. That was with just about all of them.. Especially in some cases if yo installed and then altered settings in some case but I can't remember which one precisely.. 7, XP, Linux. all of them would go stupid.. Never got to MacOSX.. :P

Installing Guest Additions was always nice.. :thumbsup: Not for sure with the new versions and Guest Drivers now though..

Archived