Windows 8 Developer Preview (Pre-Beta) Build 8102 Official Download Links

madeinheaven

Windows 8 Developer Preview (Pre-Beta) Build 8102 Official Download Links

05286826815839132191.jpg

72466802674519650734.jpg

Today, Microsoft demonstrated a detailed preview of the next major release of Windows, code-named “Windows 8” at the BUILD conference in LA. Windows 8 is certainly very impressive, modern, incredibly fast, introduces Metro UI, lot of exciting features, and is specially targeted towards Touch PCs and modern tablet devices.

83674943768830590392.png

“We reimagined Windows,” said Steven Sinofsky, president of the Windows and Windows Live Division at Microsoft, in his keynote address to the thousands of developers in attendance. “From the chipset to the user experience, Windows 8 brings a new range of capabilities without compromise.”

68003691384087659385.jpg

MS has decided to offer Windows 8 in 4 milestones just like they did with Windows 7, i.e. Developer Preview, Beta, RC and RTM. Soon, Windows 8 Developer Preview would be officially available for download both for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. It is a Free download that developers and testers can get to have first impressions of Windows 8 early build. Anyone can download the Windows 8 Developer build without requiring a MSDN or TechNet account. Moreover, you also don’t need to have a Live ID to get it.

01135849492562958093.png

Just visit ‘Windows Dev Center’ (http://dev.windows.com/) at 8 PM PT (8:30 AM IST). From there, you can download the Windows 8 Developer Preview and developer tools. You’ll also get the Windows Developer Preview guide, samples, forums, docs and other resources to build on Windows 8.

Windows 8 Test version doesn’t requires an activation and offers no support. Also, Windows 8 preview build requires a clean installation, you cannot upgrade or install it on your current Windows 7 installation.

Note: This is a developer release that is not meant to be used for daily usage as it may encounter bugs and wont be completely stable.

Update: The preview build does not include every feature shown in the Build Keynote. The Developer Preview release DOES NOT include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features. The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.

>> Download Windows 8 Developer Preview Fact Sheet, Sep 2011

Some of the New Features of Windows 8

• Metro UI for touch friendly interface.
  • Internet Explorer 10 (IE 10) for faster touch friendly browsing.
  • Powerful Metro Style Apps.
  • Windows 8 is based on the rock-solid, as Microsoft called, foundation of
  • Windows 7 and enhancements in performance, security, privacy and
  • system reliability.
  • Enhanced Task Manager and Windows Explorer and new, flexible options
  • for multi monitor setups.
  • Windows Store to sell apps that is useful for developers.
  • Build using more programming languages.
  • DirectX 11 gaming power.
  • Supports new generation of hardware – Support for ARM-based chipsets, x86 (as well as x32 and x64) devices, touch and sensors means Windows 8 works beautifully across a spectrum of devices, from 10-inch tablets and laptops to all-in-ones with 27-inch high-definition screens.

The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Windows Developer Preview downloads

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)

DOWNLOAD (3.6 GB)

Sha 1 hash – 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9

Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 64-bit PC.

Windows Developer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)

DOWNLOAD (2.8 GB)

Sha 1 hash - 4E0698BBABE01ED27582C9FC16AD21C4422913CC

Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 32-bit PC.

Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)

DOWNLOAD (4.8 GB)

Sha 1 hash - 6FE9352FB59F6D0789AF35D1001BD4E4E81E42AF

All of the following come on a disk image file (.iso). See below for installation instructions.

64-bit Windows Developer Preview

Windows SDK for Metro style apps

Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview

Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview

28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app

Live Connect

Live Connect provides developers a set of controls and APIs that enable applications to integrate Single Sign On (SSO) with Microsoft connected accounts and enable users to access information from SkyDrive, Hotmail, and Messenger.

System Requirements

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview

You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Install on: Windows Developer Preview with developer toolsWindows Developer Preview (32-bit or 64-bit)

Windows 7 and Windows VistaClean install only You can keep accounts, files, and settings

Windows XP Clean install only You can only keep accounts and files

How to install the Windows Developer Preview from an ISO image

The Windows Developer Preview is delivered as an .iso image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or a USB flash drive. On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner. On Windows XP and Windows Vista, a third-party program is required to convert an .iso file into installable media—and DVD burning software often includes this capability.

Note: The .iso file that contains the developer tools requires a large capacity DVD called a DVD-9, as well as a DVD burner that can handle dual-layer (DL) DVDs. Most modern burners should be able to handle this format.

Are you an MSDN Subscriber?

Go to the MSDN subscriber page to see additional developer preview downloads available.

Note: There is no need registration or activation for Windows 8 Developer Preview. Use can use till 12/03/2012. You can even install through Virtual Machine

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not such a bad OS to play with. I would not use it on my main working puter. But its not too bad. Like the idea that its pre-activated. Have fun.

It is amazing OS you have to discover most things cause it is different than vista or Windows 7. I like the graphic design of the system. I suggest everyone to try.

Windows 8 Developer Preview Keyboard Shortcuts

Microsoft unleashed Windows 8 at the BUILD keynote yesterday, which they referred as “Windows Reimagined”. Windows 8 introduces new awesome features, a completely new Metro style interface, App Store, provides developers the platform and tools to create rich app experiences, and is designed to offer a new touch-optimized interface.

56266984893820054319.jpg

Now that Windows 8 Developer Preview Build is available publicly for everyone, it’s certain that millions of people would try it out, specially the developers. So, if you’re one of those early beta tester, then you might want to check the official list of Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts. Here are 18 new shortcuts to quickly access some of the new advanced features included in Windows 8.

Windows 8 Developer Preview Keyboard Shortcuts -

• Windows Logo Key + Spacebar – Switch input language and keyboard layout
  • Windows Logo Key + Y – Temporarily peek at the desktop
  • Windows Logo Key + O – Locks device orientation
  • Windows Logo Key + V – Cycles through toasts
  • Windows Logo Key + Shift + V – Cycles through toasts in reverse order
  • Windows Logo Key + Enter – Launches Narrator
  • Windows Logo Key + PgUp – Moves tiles to the left
  • Windows Logo Key + PgDown – Moves tiles to the right
  • Windows Logo Key + Shift + . – Moves the split to the left
  • Windows Logo Key + . – Moves the split to the right
  • Windows Logo Key + F – Opens File Search App
  • Windows Logo Key + C – Opens Charms Bar
  • Windows Logo Key + I – Opens Settings charm
  • Windows Logo Key + K – Opens Connect charm
  • Windows Logo Key + H – Opens Share charm
  • Windows Logo Key + Q – Opens Search pane
  • Windows Logo Key + W – Opens Settings Search app
  • Windows Logo Key + Z – Opens App Bar

We will update this list as we discover new shortcuts in Windows 8.

Source: MSDN Blogs

Windows 8: How to re-enable the classic start menu

40402418162761086730.jpg

The Windows 8 developer preview is now out in the wild. Many have you, including almost all the Neowin staff, have downloaded the new preview and are getting used to the many new features in the OS.

How to bring back the classic start button in the developers preview. If you find that you want to experience Windows 8 DP without the new start button interface, follow the steps below to regain the classic start button functionality.

To get back the old start menu, open regedit, goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

change value of RPEnabled from "1" to "0"

close regedit, you get your old start menu......the catch is, no more metro UI because you just disabled it. To get back the Metro UI, change the value back to "1"

We should note that the DP is not intended to be an everyday OS, it is far from complete and there are many bugs and other logistical issues to be resolved.

Making changes to the registry is always a risky adventure and you should not do so unless you are confident in your ability to make the correct adjustments.

While the classic start menu is not present in the DP, it is speculated that Microsoft intentionally did not make the option available to force developers to adopt the new UI. The classic start menu could return in native fashion at a later date.

Tnx for giving that regedit hack but it doesn't work perfectly, how do I get rid of huge clock with black background?

Theres lots of stupid problems so far and I wonder how ugly it stays when beta build arrives.

1. My DX11 GPU Ati Radeon 5450 frame rate on DX9 based mmorpg used to be 65-85fps but now doesn't want2 go over 45fps.

2. UI isnt configurable and isn't good for normal use on some occasions.

3. Some websites open in in IE10 tablet version randomly and theres no exit or close buttons, have to kill window to get rid of.

4. Would be nice to get old UI or atleast have taskbar always kept open.

5. Install other browser and everytime you open it, it will ask if you really wanna use it as default to open sites and that it's freshly installed or something popups randomly.

6. Error reporting doesn't work, says can't connect with server.

7. After nonclean install it doesn't allow to delete folders > Windows.old and $WINDOWS.~BT

Will try to find filemanager to get me permission to get rid of stuff I don't need.

8. Recycle bin icon doesn't update, shows like it's empty when you delete stuff.

It's faster than Win7 but too difficult to use properly even though Microsoft did say they tested many hours.

Tnx for giving that regedit hack but it doesn't work perfectly, how do I get rid of huge clock with black background?

Theres lots of stupid problems so far and I wonder how ugly it stays when beta build arrives.

1. My DX11 GPU Ati Radeon 5450 frame rate on DX9 based mmorpg used to be 65-85fps but now doesn't want2 go over 45fps.

2. UI isnt configurable and isn't good for normal use on some occasions.

3. Some websites open in in IE10 tablet version randomly and theres no exit or close buttons, have to kill window to get rid of.

4. Would be nice to get old UI or atleast have taskbar always kept open.

5. Install other browser and everytime you open it, it will ask if you really wanna use it as default to open sites and that it's freshly installed or something popups randomly.

6. Error reporting doesn't work, says can't connect with server.

7. After nonclean install it doesn't allow to delete folders > Windows.old and $WINDOWS.~BT

Will try to find filemanager to get me permission to get rid of stuff I don't need.

8. Recycle bin icon doesn't update, shows like it's empty when you delete stuff.

It's faster than Win7 but too difficult to use properly even though Microsoft did say they tested many hours.

Most of your question will answer this huge with a lot of screenshot topic:

[Windows 8 Screenshot Tour: Everything You Possibly Want to Know]

Restart fixed it, now I can make restarts and such without tablet clock window, dumb thing though that Win8 didn't say updates have been downloaded but failed to install.

I would be willing to pay for ship cost to get a copy of this, would take me about 6 hrs if the connect didn't drop which seems to do everytime I try something big and does it at about 80/90% finished. If anyone would like to help me out on this just pm, thanks.

I'm in N FL

• Administrator

I would be willing to pay for ship cost to get a copy of this, would take me about 6 hrs if the connect didn't drop which seems to do everytime I try something big and does it at about 80/90% finished. If anyone would like to help me out on this just pm, thanks.

I'm in N FL

The links don't allow resuming after a pause/dc? If they do, try downloading it via Internet Download Manager or via torrents.

I'm in N FL

The links don't allow resuming after a pause/dc? If they do, try downloading it via Internet Download Manager or via torrents.

Always use IDM when possible but my connect is so slow it takes forever and get dropped when running for hours, that's why I asked, if its a big deal delete this entry, thanks.

• Administrator

Always use IDM when possible but my connect is so slow it takes forever and get dropped when running for hours, that's why I asked, if its a big deal delete this entry, thanks.

No problem mate. It's fine.

No problem mate. It's fine.

Managed to get it, only took a little over 9 hrs but now have it to play with, thanks.....

Windows 8: How to re-enable the classic start menu

Thanks for the tip..

Really helpful..

Overall, the new Windows seems very polished & optimized for touch & motion-control enabled devices..

Does anyone know if we can connect the Kinect and control this version of Windows 8?

That would be so cool.. B)

Been playing with it for a day and I must say that I really like it , tempted even to install it in real machine and use it as every day OS.

Of course, it's not even beta yet, but I must say it's pretty stable, even in VM.

And updates are working, so that's good.

Just watched this review , it's cool, but it's mostly focused on new Metro UI , I've been playing more with classic UI coz I'm an old school guy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_u_33kQP4

Archived