DVD Riping

Hitman6267

Hi, sorry if similar post have been made but using the word "dvd" in the search isn't allowed and when i tried dvds i only got dvd burning software. Any way my question is like you guessed what are the steps necessary to make a copy of a dvd that is legally owned. The copy are for protective purposes only because i have some dvds that are a little scratched and i'm afraid that down the line they would get serious damage. So what i want to know is what are the programes needed to rip the dvd from the cd onto my pc then burning it ( without loosing quality -if it can be done - ) to another blank dvd. Thank you :frusty:

• Replies 18
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most DVDs are dual-layer 9GB discs (DVD9), so ya need to make sure you have support for that before attempting 1:1 copies :stereo:

but your best bet would be to use the AnyDVD driver for de-crypting then just do a 1:1 copy with nero (Nero SmartStart > Copy & Backup > Copy DVD) ;)

if you need to compress them to fit on 4.5GB DVDs (DVD5) let me know, as it gets a little more complicated and i dont wanna get into it unless i have too :frusty:

yea could u? because i have ~4gb dvds, i thought one of the progs would do the compressing... thank you :frusty:

ok, then, next question...

do you wanna copy the entire DVD (extras, deleted scenes etc) or just the movie? i'd recomend just the movie, so that as much video quality can be retained as possible. if ya wanna watch the extras use the source DVD, cause honestly, how many times do ya need to see the same deleted scenes? :frusty:

either way, it's up to you, so let me know as there's 2 completely different ways we can go at this point...

Just the movie btw if i have an .avi or any other extension dvds on my pc (old dvds that relly got messed up so stored them on my pc with a programe that converted them into avi can i follow the instructions your going to tell me ? Thank you for your replies :frusty:

i'd recommend DVD2SVCD then, nice simple program for getting the job done. ignore the name too, it CAN do DVD to DVD conversions (plus a few more, including AVI to whatever) :frusty:

any ways, you'll need CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) which is a very expensive program, THE best MPEG2 encoder on the market tho. but check yer PMs here in a minute for it... :P

now for your AVI conversions, you'll need to learn a little AVISynth scripting if they're MPEG4 (xvid, divx, H264 etc), unless this 'app' you speak of used the classic windows AVI container. but the reason being MPEG4 doen't have a 1:1 pixel ratio like older video formats, so you'll need to manually calculate and use the proper video height :stereo:

the calculation goes something like this...

(720/w)*h

...where w and h represent the AVI file's width and height dimensions (in pixels). the sum of this equation will be the correct height of the video to use for the DVD. so you'll need to go to the frameserver tab in DVD2SVCD and set 'edit avisynth before encoding' and edit these lines of codes as follows...

LanczosResize(720, 360)
and
AddBorders(0, 60, 0, 60)

change them to (with ES represnting the number you got before)...

LanczosResize(720, ES)
and
AddBorders(0, 0, 0, 0)

this is assuming the video used the entire 480 vertical pixels available in the DVD standard (thus no borders). normally you'll need to adjust the border values to fill the remaining area ([480-ES]/2). but other than that, the program should work fine as packaged ;)

oh yeah, and use D2SRoBa (you'll be prompted during install) with it's default DVD settings. then enable short leadouts in nero to allow for any oversizing that might result from doing a 1-pass VBR (it's better than wating 6 hours on a 4-pass encode)...

So those are the steps for avi to dvd but if i want to do a dvd to dvd it's all automated ?

yeah, it's able to do dvd to dvd conversions fine as the formats are identical (just a new filesize) ;)

but when it's copying doesn't it copy the extras too ? making the copy not fit on a 4gb dvd ?

nah, it only converts the movie (that's why i use it). basiclly, it can tell part of the DVD is video and what isn't ;)

Hi, i have another question, how can i make a copy of the DVD to my pc that is the exact same as the original DVD ? So i can watch my dvd on my pc. And also how can later make a burnable format out of that ( to burn on a 8 gb dvd )

P.S: Great to have the site back up :unsure:

yeah, use AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter to rip the IFO and VOB files to your HDD. i'd go into 'IFO Mode' and only rip the IFO for the movie (longest timestamp). then, if ya wanna convert it later, just open the IFO file with DVD2SVCD, which will treate it as if it were still on the DVD and continue the conversion as usual :unsure:

btw, to watch the files, just open the IFO file with MPC or something...

Which programe do i use to rip it ? DVD decrypter right ? but what does any dvd do ? from what i can get it allows you to watch the dvds that are protected? only that ?

it's a driver that decrypts protected DVDs, ya just need to have the little fox in your system tray (done) ;)

but i always recomend using DVD Decrypter to just copy it to the HDD without all the BS, hence IFO mode. each IFO in the VIDEO_TS folder are basicly indexes for the different parts of the DVD (copyright crap, previews, menus, the movie etc). and dvd decrypter is good way to jump right to the movie IFO. also, you can strip out uneeded audio and subtitle streams from the 'streams' tab there (faster/smaller) ;)

so IFO = no menu and other stuff ? In that case how can i make a perfect copy ? I want the entire dvd ( menu and all that ) because im backing up dvds that i bought therefore i want to have everything i payed for ;)

If i choose folder mode will it work ?

Thank you for everything ;)

• 10 months later...

I have an ISO of a dvd that i want to put on a 4.7 dvd, how can i do that? I re-read everything and couldnt find the instructions on doing that.

Edit:

This is what i did (step by step):

i started D2SRoBa, clicked on "Go!". Mounted the ISO and then in D2SRoBa in the conversion tab clicked on the cd icon and selected the dvd. Then in the subtitles tab, checked the box "Rip Subtitles" and selected english in "Subtitle Lang. 1". Then in conversion tab i clicked go "Go!".

The results:

The files I got had a total of 5GB, so they wouldn't fit on my DVD+RW 4.7 GB. And I couldnt find any way to burn the dvd with subtitles.

Archived