Benefits of Windows XP 64 bit over 32 bit

shought

What do you guys think? Should i go with the 64 bit version of XP or just take the 32 bit version? I read some stuff about some programs conflicting with 64 bit Windows and about driver incompatibilities, anyone care to explain?

I am not a programmer of any kind i just use my pc for desktop purposes and some basic gaming/video encoding. Will i see much/any speed improvement using the 64 bit version?

I already know that 64bit XP includes the 32bit system files for better compatibility. How i think of it this will only slow down my system because twice as much systems files have to be loaded or am i wrong here? Yep i was wrong, there's just three extra files for loading 32 bit programs.

I already found this site, but it's MS's own so...

I found this too, but the main conclusion i get from all of these articles is: It's good for the future but you won't see much improvement at this time.

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

windows XP x64 runs much faster and its more stable ( ist bulid on 2003 server ) i was using it for couple days but i return to the 32 bit beucase of non crack to the esset on x64 :P

windows XP x64 runs much faster and its more stable ( ist bulid on 2003 server ) i was using it for couple days but i return to the 32 bit beucase of non crack to the esset on x64 :P

Much faster, yeah? Explain more stable... Windows XP 32bit seems pretty stable to me!

Are a lot of cracks/patches and stuff not working on 64bit?

Much faster, yeah? Explain more stable... Windows XP 32bit seems pretty stable to me!

Are a lot of cracks/patches and stuff not working on 64bit?

i ran wxp pro 64 bit since it came out.i never looked back.it is quite a bit faster and most drivers are able to run on it.64bit is the only system(including vista)that i will run.any program that runs on 64 will be able to use crack/patches on.,

any program that runs on 64 will be able to use crack/patches on.,

Except for ESS that is... But you're saying 64bit is much faster? And you say 'most drivers' that concerns me a bit? Is it like Vista, a lot of incompatible drivers? Or just a few 'rare' products not working?

@Shought: one thing I'd like you to pay attention to is that 64bit software needs more RAM than 32bit one, basically because memory addresses are double sized 32->64 , so to gain a good performance advantage you need to have a good amount of RAM on your system.

@Shought: one thing I'd like you to pay attention to is that 64bit software needs more RAM than 32bit one, basically because memory addresses are double sized 32->64 , so to gain a good performance advantage you need to have a good amount of RAM on your system.

So 64bit systems use more resources? I don't know if you've seen my topic about 'Assembling a new pc'? I've got 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM selected... Will that be sufficient?

windows XP x64 runs much faster and its more stable ( ist bulid on 2003 server ) i was using it for couple days but i return to the 32 bit beucase of non crack to the esset on x64 :frusty:
32bit is really stable and runs almost anything :P

Hmmm, which is more stable now? :wacko:

i will explain it to you for example in windows 32bit it take 2 second (its only example you can put in it 0.5 second or 0.0001 :frusty: ) from click on my computer to show my computer on 64bit it will take 1 second. Programs ( even 32bit ) start faster, also i never seen BSOD, the only thing you can worry about is old hardware that dont have drivers for x64, but if you dont have stuff from 2002 you dont have to worry anout beucase almost every new hardeware have oth 32 and 64 bit software, maybe you will instal x64 on other partiotion and try it out ?

64 is faster by 1 second and programs are limited kindah... also 32 is a second slower but runs alot MORE and is stable :frusty:

Actually Server 03 was built on XP x64 not the other way.. And server 03 is indeed faster than XP.. I'm using it atm..

load times in Half-Life 2 take only 1/3 of time on XP and i also seem to get a bit better fps.. but it needs lots of tweaking to get it on a good state for workstations..

:P :( :( This is absolutely not true!!!

64 is faster by 1 second and programs are limited kindah... also 32 is a second slower but runs alot MORE and is stable :frusty:

Everything that runs on 32-bit can be run on 64-bit, except some very old applications (16-bit application).

Now, my recommendation is that if you can find all necessary drivers, just install it. I'm currently using Vista SP1 x64 and it is very fast, and I don't think on going back to 32-bit platform. 64-bit OS is much more stable and faster, and can address more RAM memory (and not to use more of it like somebody thinks).

Cheers :pirate:

:P :( :( This is absolutely not true!!!

Everything that runs on 32-bit can be run on 64-bit, except some very old applications (16-bit application).

Now, my recommendation is that if you can find all necessary drivers, just install it. I'm currently using Vista SP1 x64 and it is very fast, and I don't think on going back to 32-bit platform. 64-bit OS is much more stable and faster, and can address more RAM memory (and not to use more of it like somebody thinks).

Cheers :pirate:

mara read wikipedia.org and if you have an idea about how machine code looks like you'll know -not think- that. another interesting reading for you is this tomshardware article

@Shought: read the article I mentioned for mara it'll give you an idea how much RAM do you need, basically the more the better, and if it was to me I'll go for 4GB, at the end it depends on what you're planning to run on ur machine.

OK, you are right, my mistake. But I think that he will be fine with 2GB. And yes it depends what he will do, but I'm running just fine Vista Ultimate x64 with 2GB DDR2. And I did not have any problems with applications, every which I tried runs without problem.

Cheers :frusty:

mara read wikipedia.org and if you have an idea about how machine code looks like you'll know -not think- that. another interesting reading for you is this tomshardware article

@Shought: read the article I mentioned for mara it'll give you an idea how much RAM do you need, basically the more the better, and if it was to me I'll go for 4GB, at the end it depends on what you're planning to run on ur machine.

Read it but most of it applies to vista... So i don't know what exactly applies to XP and what does not.

I did get some clarification about the 32bit emulation in 64bit XP, it's not all the system files it's just three. So what i said in my first post clearly isn't right.

OK, you are right, my mistake. But I think that he will be fine with 2GB. And yes it depends what he will do, but I'm running just fine Vista Ultimate x64 with 2GB DDR2. And I did not have any problems with applications, every which I tried runs without problem.

Cheers :frusty:

I'm planning on using my pc as a normal desktop(office apps, internet, email, chat), occasionally i will encode a video/dvd and i will play a game once in a while(+/- 45 mins a day or so). As i mentioned in my first post i'm going to use XP(Pro). And i probably won't upgrade to vista any time soon(any time as in a few(+/- 4) years). So how about my RAM, will 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM suffice?

Edit: You can see my whole system configuration on this page: http://www.nsaneforums.com/index.php?showt...=10665&st=0

Actually Server 03 was built on XP x64 not the other way.. And server 03 is indeed faster than XP.. I'm using it atm..

load times in Half-Life 2 take only 1/3 of time on XP and i also seem to get a bit better fps.. but it needs lots of tweaking to get it on a good state for workstations..

Explain tweaking?

i will explain it to you for example in windows 32bit it take 2 second (its only example you can put in it 0.5 second or 0.0001 :P ) from click on my computer to show my computer on 64bit it will take 1 second. Programs ( even 32bit ) start faster, also i never seen BSOD, the only thing you can worry about is old hardware that dont have drivers for x64, but if you dont have stuff from 2002 you dont have to worry anout beucase almost every new hardeware have oth 32 and 64 bit software, maybe you will instal x64 on other partiotion and try it out ?

A little unclear; is it 62 bit 0,5 second and 32 bit 1,5 second or 64 bit 0,5 second and 32 bit 1,0 second. So is it plus 1 or times 2. And is it truly a second or was that just for example.

that was only example i meand that x64 is X ( put here number ) faster than X86, just installl and you will see <_<

Cheers <_<

I'm planning on using my pc as a normal desktop(office apps, internet, email, chat), occasionally i will encode a video/dvd and i will play a game once in a while(+/- 45 mins a day or so). As i mentioned in my first post i'm going to use XP(Pro). And i probably won't upgrade to vista any time soon(any time as in a few(+/- 4) years). So how about my RAM, will 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM suffice?

Edit: You can see my whole system configuration on this page: http://www.nsaneforums.com/index.php?showt...=10665&st=0

Shought, if these is what you are going to use it for, I think it better to use 32bits..... I have thought of using 64bits before, some IT guy told me not to.

It seems some mainboard does not support 64bits, check it out first before you decide. It also seem that it is usually use for high intense program.

Just my 2 cents worth of advice! LOL

that was only example i meand that x64 is X ( put here number ) faster than X86, just installl and you will see :)

Thanks for your explanation.

Shought, if these is what you are going to use it for, I think it better to use 32bits..... I have thought of using 64bits before, some IT guy told me not to.

It seems some mainboard does not support 64bits, check it out first before you decide. It also seem that it is usually use for high intense program.

Just my 2 cents worth of advice! LOL

Ok, thanks.

And how about my RAM if i pick 64 bit?

@HATE9X explain what you meant with 'tweaking' please?

Windows XP X64 ( only system ) using more RAM beucase it runing emulation proces wich is emulate 32bits program, programs and apllication that needs 10MB ( for example ) nee dame amount of ram on X64 - 10MB, the only difference is another proces to emulate 32bits.

Windows XP X64 ( only system ) using more RAM beucase it runing emulation proces wich is emulate 32bits program, programs and apllication that needs 10MB ( for example ) nee dame amount of ram on X64 - 10MB, the only difference is another proces to emulate 32bits.
i would say kotaxor is right, as what i'v tested is that 64bit only is better if you have 4GB ram

Soooo, i should go with the 'normal' 32 bit version of XP?

Archived