Windows 10 update breaks another major feature - but there’s a fix

Karlston

5kSzAWZM3Hy795LKL885Sn-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: engadget)

Windows 10 is suffering from yet another bug that's causing machines to unexpectedly wake up from sleep mode. 

Following the rollout of the Microsoft’s September 2020 optional update, Windows 10 users began reporting that their machine keeps waking up even when sleep mode has been enabled. 

“When I close the lid, press the power button, or select Sleep in the power menu or the win-x menu, instead of sleeping, the screen simply turns off, and my laptop does not go to sleep even after leaving it alone all night,” one user complained on the Microsoft forum

This isn’t the first time this issue has cropped up, either. Users first complained of random wakeups following the rollout of the glitch-prone Windows 10 May 2020 Update and the problem was said to have been fixed with Windows 10 KB4568831.

According to Windows Latest, a Windows Update process dubbed “MoUSO Core Worker Process” is said to be the root cause of the issue. According to the report, it’s causing sleep mode to break on machines that have applied Windows 10 version 2004 and have an optional update pending for installation. 

“When I close the lid, press the power button, or select Sleep in the power menu or the win-x menu, instead of sleeping, the screen simply turns off, and my laptop does not go to sleep even after leaving it alone all night,” one user complained.

How to fix it

There’s thankfully a way to fix the sleep mode problem. Windows Latest reports that reports that by tweaking Windows Update’s settings to prevent the service from running at odd hours. Once done, you simply need to reboot your PC.

If that doesn’t work, the report advises you follow these advanced steps: 

[Poster's Note: Original article does not list the advanced steps, visit the Windows Latest link above to see them]

Microsoft has yet to confirm whether it will release an official fix for the problem.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about this one (yet), but some Win10 machines I manage at work have been having a tendency to magically wake from sleep - even before 20H1 dropped - without any input by me. That universally scare the jeebers out of me when I work night shifts - especially if it happens simultaneously on multiple systems in a relatively dim room.

BimBamSmash: I had same problem, you can check with powercfg -lastwake witch device wakes up your computer... however its most likely network card. So go to device manager and in to network card power options and dont allow device to wake up from sleep or limit it to magic packet...

I have the opposite problem. I don't know about you guys, but this site has never allowed Windows 10 to go to sleep automatically.

As soon as I close the Nsane tab, Windows 10 sleeps automatically just fine.

Microsoft told me that they just tried new feature which called "NAP"

Archived