Achilles’ heel of ALL viruses? Scientists discover holy grail which could lead to UNIVERSAL vaccine

dufus

Cure for All Viruses? Scientists discover holy grail which ...

Researchers at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) in the US have uncovered the ‘Achilles’ heel’ of most viruses which plague mankind, and could soon develop a universal vaccine.

Vaccine research, development and testing takes a long time, as the ongoing coronavirus outbreak has shown, but that is because researchers devote their time, attention and resources to targeting specific viruses one-by-one. But now scientists at MGH have located what may prove to be a game-changing breakthrough for humanity which could strengthen our bodies and make them impervious to most viruses.

“The goal is to understand how our immune system works in order to create treatments that work against a range of viruses, not just vaccines against a particular one,” said Kate Jeffrey, head of the study, in a hospital press release.

The so-called ‘Achilles heel’ (or vulnerable point) of most viruses is actually just a simple protein named AGO4, which has been shown to have unique antiviral effects in mammalian cells. 

When studying mice, researchers found that only cells deficient in AGO4 were hypersensitive to infections like the influenza virus. So once they can figure out how to reinforce our bodies’ natural defences with AGO4, viruses will no longer stand a chance of infecting us, theoretically at least. 

“The next step is to determine how wide the spectrum of action of this protein is for any type of virus,” says Jeffrey. “And then we need to figure out how to increase the activity of AGO4 to enhance protection against viral infections.”

While more work needs to be done, this is an exciting step towards universal vaccination and potential treatment against some of the world’s deadliest viruses. 

sauce

• Replies 7
  • Views 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should stop this research. The world's problems are, in the main, casued by over population. A few pandemics may be the only hope to save the planet.

i think you should stop that eugenics bullshit if you aren't man enough to live by your words by smashing your head on georgia guidestones.

Did not find any link to a 'real' study either in the OP or in the source, only comments about a press release.

For those interested, here is a link to Cell Reports "A Requirement for Argonaute 4 in Mammalian Antiviral Defense", with available pdfs: https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(20)30030-9?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS2211124720300309%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

2 hours ago, radeonxt said:

i think you should stop that eugenics bullshit if you aren't man enough to live by your words by smashing your head on georgia guidestones.

What are georgia guidestones?

9 hours ago, Chancer said:

I think they should stop this research. The world's problems are, in the main, casued by over population. A few pandemics may be the only hope to save the planet.

Sorry, but the world's problems are caused by individual and collective human GREED.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Spoiler

On 2/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, funkyy said:

Sorry, but the world's problems are caused by individual and collective human GREED.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Reveal hidden contents

Amen to that conclusion. I totaly agree with you ☺️

On 2/13/2020 at 1:02 PM, funkyy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Totally agreed, The only thing i would add to what you said is "Human Stupidity." forget viruses, natural disasters or over population. The biggest threat to humanity is our own stupidity. 

Archived