Tutorial: Here’s how you can run Classic and Chromium-based Edge simultaneously

Karlston

Last week Microsoft launched Chromium-based Edge for everyone and the browser is meant to replace the Classic Edge. Microsoft, however, published a document outlining a way you could keep both Classic and Chromium Edge on your Windows 10 device.

The tutorial relied on Microsoft Group Policy editor but if you can’t access it, there’s another way to make both the Edge browsers run simultaneously. If you’re someone looking to run both the browsers then follow the steps below.

• Uninstall Chromium Edge by going to Control Panel>Programs> Programs and Features
  • Once uninstalled, open Start Menu and type “regedit” (without quotes) to open Registry Editor. Press Yes if you get UAC pop-up.
  • Navigate to “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft” (without quotes). You can copy-paste the whole path in the address bar.
  • Right-click on Microsoft key (left side-bar) and create a new key named EdgeUpdate
  • Now click on EdgeUpdate to select it and create a new DWord 32-bit value and name it as “Allowsxs” (without quotes). Assign 0 as its value. To create a new DWord 32-bit, click on Edit>New>DWord (32-bit)
  • Close Registry Editor

Now head to the Microsoft Edge website and install back Edge Stable. You can check out our tutorial on how to get the offline installer for Microsoft Edge. Once installed, open Start Menu and you will the Classic Edge added to the Start Menu along with the new Edge browser. Note the Classic Edge browser will be displayed as Microsoft Edge Legacy in the Start Menu.

Via Techdows

Source: Tutorial: Here’s how you can run Classic and Chromium-based Edge simultaneously  (MSPoweruser)

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I am amazed. I hope Microsoft keep the original Edge alive, Keep it updating and does not axe it like they do to their software(s). Edge help me get open certain academic websites in my country which otherwise won't open either on Mozilla or chromium. That was the only reason due to which i refrained from updating chromium based browser. Finally time to check out the chromium based Edge.

• 4 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:10 PM, Kalju said:

Original info is here:

Microsoft Edge Update Policy Documentation

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-update-policies

Strange , I see in this link ; set the Allowsxs on "1"  , if you want to run Legacy and Chromium Edge side by side ( together ) !

In this forum ; I see , set this key on "0" !  Now how to set the key , "0" or on "1".......??? ( I want to keep both browsers , after the MS-update to new Edge !!)

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:58 PM, Karlston said:

Last week Microsoft launched Chromium-based Edge for everyone and the browser is meant to replace the Classic Edge. Microsoft, however, published a document outlining a way you could keep both Classic and Chromium Edge on your Windows 10 device.

The tutorial relied on Microsoft Group Policy editor but if you can’t access it, there’s another way to make both the Edge browsers run simultaneously. If you’re someone looking to run both the browsers then follow the steps below.

• Uninstall Chromium Edge by going to Control Panel>Programs> Programs and Features
  • Once uninstalled, open Start Menu and type “regedit” (without quotes) to open Registry Editor. Press Yes if you get UAC pop-up.
  • Navigate to “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft” (without quotes). You can copy-paste the whole path in the address bar.
  • Right-click on Microsoft key (left side-bar) and create a new key named EdgeUpdate
  • Now click on EdgeUpdate to select it and create a new DWord 32-bit value and name it as “Allowsxs” (without quotes). Assign 0 as its value. To create a new DWord 32-bit, click on Edit>New>DWord (32-bit)
  • Close Registry Editor

Now head to the Microsoft Edge website and install back Edge Stable. You can check out our tutorial on how to get the offline installer for Microsoft Edge. Once installed, open Start Menu and you will the Classic Edge added to the Start Menu along with the new Edge browser. Note the Classic Edge browser will be displayed as Microsoft Edge Legacy in the Start Menu.

Via Techdows

Source: Tutorial: Here’s how you can run Classic and Chromium-based Edge simultaneously  (MSPoweruser)

According MS ; set this key on "1"   , if you want to run both Edge-browsers together ( side by side ).........!!

I use the old Legacy , my Edge is not updated (yet) , I want to run them both , so no replacement , please !!

Now.......HOW (?) to set this key ??

1 hour ago, Pete 12 said:

According MS ; set this key on "1"   , if you want to run both Edge-browsers together ( side by side ).........!!

I use the old Legacy , my Edge is not updated (yet) , I want to run them both , so no replacement , please !!

Now.......HOW (?) to set this key ??

There's no need to worry - so far nothing removes the old Edge, and you're completely free to use both.
The only thing that has happened in the meantime - now the names are a bit different Edge Chromium is now Microsoft Edge and the old Edges name is Microsoft Edge Legacy
If you have an icon for the old Edge on your desktop, it will be replaced.
Everything else remains.
If there are problems, ask.
PS. But this recommendation, what You mentioned above, it doesn't work. You can put there what ever You want, the result is always the same.

2 minutes ago, Kalju said:

There's no need to worry - so far nothing removes the old Edge, and you're completely free to use both.
The only thing that has happened in the meantime - now the names are a bit different Edge Chromium is now Microsoft Edge and the old Edges name is Microsoft Edge Legacy
If you have an icon for the old Edge on your desktop, it will be replaced.
Everything else remains.
If there are problems, ask.
PS. But this recommendation, what You mentioned above, it doesn't work. You can put there what ever You want, the result is always the same.

So , we can keep using BOTH Edge-browsers side by side ........without applying any reg-keys ?? After the new Edge-update ?

13 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

So , we can keep using BOTH Edge-browsers side by side ........without applying any reg-keys ?? After the new Edge-update ?

Here they are in the same computer and at the same time. 

It's my laptop + Windows 10 x64 Pro 19041.264 2004

Spoiler

Capture1.JPG.f01b6401e5a21d45da72ca898b6d1a25.JPG Capture2.thumb.JPG.d61a4aff4b1536d75961481926518b08.JPG 

Capture3.thumb.JPG.8a517424e7497a57586b62b72ac5dcb4.JPG

22 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Here they are in the same computer and at the same time. 

It's my laptop + Windows 10 x64 Pro 19041.264 2004

Hide contents

Capture1.JPG.f01b6401e5a21d45da72ca898b6d1a25.JPG Capture2.thumb.JPG.d61a4aff4b1536d75961481926518b08.JPG 

Capture3.thumb.JPG.8a517424e7497a57586b62b72ac5dcb4.JPG

Very nice ! So , we dont have to do anything , the new Edge wont replace the Legacy , WITHOUT any reg-keys adding ??

Strange , coz I read other stories about "Allowsxs=1" , or is it "0"  ?

Archived