“An almond doesn’t lactate:” FDA to crack down on use of the word “milk”

steven36

Got boobs? —

https://s7d3.turboimg.net/sp/e601e996ad2907bb771627fd79e98d1a/7310603.jpg

The US Food and Drug Administration seems to have soured on nondairy milk-alternative products that use the term “milk” in their marketing and labeling—like popular soy and almond milk products.

In a talk hosted by Politico, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb announced Tuesday that the FDA will soon issue a new guidance on the use of the term. But he added that products aren’t abiding by FDA policies as they stand now. He referenced a so-called “standard of identity” policy that regulates how milk is defined and should be identified.

“If you look at our standard of identity—there is a reference somewhere in the standard of identity to a lactating animal,” he said. “And, you know, an almond doesn’t lactate, I will confess.”

He went on to explain that the issue is that the agency hasn’t been enforcing its own policy or putting the squeeze on product makers—and that it’s time to get abreast of the labeling language.

But, he admitted, curtailing the wording of non-moo juice labeling isn’t an easy task because it means that the agency has to change its “regulatory posture.”

“I can’t just do it unilaterally,” Gottlieb said. Hence, the agency is putting together a new guidance for manufacturers to help skim the fat from the market. Gottlieb said the agency will soon tap the public for comments on the terminology and hopes to wring out a new policy within a year.

Such a policy will likely be warmly embraced by the dairy industry, which has cried over spilt milk profits, waning sales, and global oversupply for years. Last year, Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) introduced a measure that would ban the use of the term “milk” for non-dairy products. But fellow legislators didn’t have an appetite for the beverage bill.

This isn’t the FDA’s first involvement in a dairy dispute. In 2015, the agency cracked down on the labeling of an egg-less mayonnaise-like product called Just Mayo. “The use of the term "mayo" in the product names and the image of an egg may be misleading to consumers because it may lead them to believe that the products are the standardized food, mayonnaise, which must contain eggs as described under 21 CFR 169.140(c),” the FDA wrote in a warning letter at the time. In that case, maker Hampton Creek Foods and the FDA worked together to whip up a new label for the condiment.

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I find this ridiculous. I'm pretty well aware that almonds don't lactate. Moreover, I am also well aware that almond & soya "milk" are substitutes for the real thing.

But considering that 7% of American adults believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows (yes, it's true) and that 1 in 5 adults didn't know that hamburger comes from cows also according to a Department of Agriculture study commissioned in the '90s, maybe this move from the FDA isn't so stupid...

1 minute ago, lurch234 said:

Personally, I find this ridiculous. I'm pretty well aware that almonds don't lactate. Moreover, I am also well aware that almond & soya "milk" are substitutes for the real thing.

But considering that 7% of American adults believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows (yes, it's true) and that 1 in 5 adults didn't know that hamburger comes from cows also according to a Department of Agriculture study commissioned in the '90s, maybe this move from the FDA isn't so stupid...

They must be rich , on food stamps  or young adults  when we was growing up we got  some chocolate and a gallon of milk and made our own lots of times..Chocolate milk was not something we bought very often it was considered  a waste of milk .  That crap they solid cheap tastes like chocolate milk but they didn't call it milk but chocolate drink.

3 minutes ago, steven36 said:

when we was growing up we got  some chocolate and a gallon of milk and made our own lots of times

My dad used to mix cocoa and sugar in a big container. We had chocolate milk whenever we had a fancy for it :)

1 minute ago, lurch234 said:

My dad used to mix cocoa and sugar in a big container. We had chocolate milk whenever we had a fancy for it :)

We most of the time had it we keep some quick or heresy  or some off brand syrup around . My mom uses cocoa for making homemade fudge  witch is really  good, she use to make it around Christmas . Anyone that  believe  chocolate milk comes from brown cows could not know how to cook or have any conman sense.

So in in Millenial speak this is "FAKE food" ;) 

Choco Milk? I thought it can from .... (yummy)  ;)

Thank god for the FDA,  if you ever worked in the food industry before you would  know why, if it was not for them they be selling you fake contaminated food  as the real thing.

Agree.. Here we had a pretty good Bureau of Food & Drugs (BFAD)  ..that regulates/protects us from bad Food Medicine and believe it or now bad Cosmetic products

Archived