Microsoft start testing ads in Windows 10 Mail and Calendar app

Karlston

mailad.png

It appears ads, which are becoming increasingly pervasive on Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating system, have now reached the Windows 10 Mail app.

Users on Reddit are now reporting that a banner has shown up in the Windows 10 Mail app in a space above the Mail, Calendar and People buttons. The banner cannot be removed except by closing the menu, and currently advertises the Office 365 subscription service.

The ads in the mail app are somewhat ironic, given Microsoft’s ad campaign against Google a decade ago, criticising the company for reading user’s email and showing them ads appropriate to the content of the email. Gmail is, of course, a free service, while most users pay for Windows 10 when they purchase their PC, making the operating system ads a deal Windows 10 users have not really signed up for.

The current ads appear to be a test at present, and it is not clear how Microsoft is targeting them, though of course Windows 10 does include a privacy control related to Microsoft collecting data specifically for targetted ads, suggesting these ads are not being shown randomly.

How do our readers feel about this latest move by Microsoft to monetize Windows? Let us know below.

Source: Microsoft start testing ads in Windows 10 Mail and Calendar app ( MSPoweruser)

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only do you get to pay for  Windows 10 but now you get to make money for Microsoft.  Double Whammy!

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Powershell $ :

Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

And use a alternative

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-alternative-to-windows-live-mail

Right, but what about the 99% of users who don't read any technical websites.  Microsoft smiling all the way to the bank.  Besides, who in hell uses live mail anyway?

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

Not only do you get to pay for  Windows 10 but now you get to make money for Microsoft.  Double Whammy!

Right, but what about the 99% of users who don't read any technical websites.  Microsoft smiling all the way to the bank.  Besides, who in hell uses live mail anyway?

I could care less  about 99% of users ether ,  only I  care  about people who are willing to learn, that is  there problem not mine , if they don't want to learn , the knowledge is out there and it's free  ,  its just like noobs  that  don't know how install  windows for themselves or remove a virus. the ITs  are laughing all the way to the bank too . that's all windows is about is someone earning  money on  others stupidity.   I learn how do this way back in the early 2000s, before I ever came on any technical websites. I did not start reading the PC centric news tell 2014, i always  done my own testing and  upgrades. 

I see a post like this i just sit back on Ubuntu  and laugh ..I got tired of Windows 10 long ago,  if i cared what the masses done  i would use windows 100%  of the time , witch i don't i may use it 5% of the time nowadays.   Linux runs circles around Windows 10 on my hardware .  When i boot into Windows to do updates  and back into Linux  it's like a nice cool drink of water after you been in the  desert for days ,over there in proprietary world,  please look at my ads or pay country .  All the mail apps on Linux are clean  mine came with Geary  :lol:

Most users do not use LTSB. It it seems like the ads are confined to UWP apps only. Just don’t use those and you are fine. I leave the stock apps installed but I barely use any UWP apps and it does not nag me. Lol

Archived