File-sharers move from BitTorrent

SliverSamuel

SliverSamuel

_40741844_203.jpg

File-sharers have moved away from the popular BitTorrent system following legal action, say experts.

Instead they have moved to another network called eDonkey, showed a study by internet analysis firm CacheLogic.

It found that eDonkey has become the dominant peer-to-peer file-sharing network in countries such as South Korea, Italy, Germany and Spain.

The study seems to suggest that the legal action to stamp out file-sharing is meeting with limited success.

BitTorrent alternatives

The movie industry started targeting the operators of BitTorrent networks themselves last December.

It has filed numerous lawsuits against BitTorrent server sites which linked to copyrighted material in order to undermine the ability to swap content.

History is repeating itself. File-sharers moved from Kazaa to BitTorrent and now to eDonkey

Andrew Parker, CacheLogic

The action resulted in the closure of some high-profile BitTorrent sites but appears to have had mixed success in stopping the widespread trading of films, TV shows and music.

While the use of BitTorrent has fallen, file sharers have moved to an alternative network called eDonkey.

This is a decentralised file-sharing network, where files are not stored on a central server but are exchanged directly between users based on the peer-to-peer principle.

In countries such as the UK, Japan and China, eDonkey was as widely used as BitTorrent, found CacheLogic.

In others like South Korea, it has become the most popular way of swapping content.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL LOL LOL :)

• Replies 28
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm..I don't know if they noticed but most ppl if not all use Bittorrents along with Edonkey, Along with G1 ,Along with G2,Mirc ,Fttp,Direct,and Morpheus to get what they want so it doesn't matter which Network(or other), I got them all.....lol

SliverSamuel

dude, u mean at the same time? :)

So eDonkey really is getting more popular. Guess I'll have to try it......when I get broadband :)

dude, u mean at the same time? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No ,I mean most ppl have acess to all the networks on their computers already.

Don't bother trying it ,it has a very long Waiting most times......

because it's not a download manager, it's meant to be left on 24/7, your file will finish eventually. it's all about patience with ed2k :)

Guest oxygenuk

i hate edonkey/emule whatever.

my downloads never start, can never find a decent server, download speeds are dead slow when they do start

:)

Maybe because there is only one server you SHOULD be using... Razorback 2.

Of course they're going to be slow at first, you need to get more sources. Once I had left mine on for a few hours on my old 2MB DSL line I used to max it out no problem.

And try getting verifieds, instead of randomly searching for files...

Good release groups = Lots of people sharing = faster download speeds = one happy bunny

SliverSamuel

How good is Morpheus?

Guest oxygenuk

i used to connect to razorback2.

still wasnt that great.

now it doesnt even show in the list! (using standard emule)

i hate edonkey/emule whatever.

my downloads never start, can never find a decent server, download speeds are dead slow when they do start

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emule is the best p2p prog right now. if u dont understand it, the problem is u. the success of this prog, or better of its network, relies on its community of users. the transfer rate speed is justified by the total upload bandwidth that is always minor than the total download bandwidth.

• Administrator

Terrible.

Lacks support for many of the networks advanced features. Contains many flaws in the implementation of the networks.

Great

Terrible.

Lacks support for many of the networks advanced features. Contains many flaws in the implementation of the networks.

Its amazing how opinions can be very contradictiory.

• Administrator
Its amazing how opinions can be very contradictiory.

I only pointed out a fact.

Morpeus is based on MLDonkey, its a fact that its got poor implementations for the networks it supports.

:unsure:

He's right :unsure:

I only pointed out a fact.

Morpeus is based on MLDonkey, its a fact that its got poor implementations for the networks it supports.

He's right :P

:unsure: So I see ;)

Which Is Better Edonkey Or EMule?

When I used Emule I all had problems with forwarding my ports.

Please Tell Which Was is Better and Why.

-Cameron ;)

emule, edonkey doesn't support emule download credits (which is the client everyone is using) so you'll get shitty queries. plus the fact emule also has kad, which has more users than overnet (same reason as before) ;)

limewire's good for downloading songs, but there are not really any large files. ;p

I just use Limewire for songs, eMule for vids. Granted I don't download many movies/videos, but when I do, eMule works for me :(

Archived