Legal music downloads triple in 2005

D0GG

New figures from the International Federation of Phonographic Industries (IFPI) show that legal music downloads have grown threefold in the first half of 2005.

Sales from January to June in the UK, France and Germany outstripped last year's total sales, reaching 180 million tracks compared to last year's 157 million.

In the UK, single-track downloads in the first half of 2005 were up tenfold on the same period last year at just over 10 million. Meanwhile illegal downloads on peer-to-peer networks rose by just three per cent.

"We are now seeing real evidence that people are increasingly put off by illegal file-sharing and turning to legal ways of enjoying music online," said John Kennedy, IFPI chairman.

"Whether it's the fear of getting caught, or the realisation that many networks could damage your home PC, attitudes are changing and that is good news for the whole music industry."

But he warned that the struggle against pirates is not over, since some consumers found free music "a bad habit that they are finding hard to break". Kennedy stressed that prosecutions of file sharers would continue.

According to the IFPI there are 900 million illegally copied tracks in circulation over P2P networks, a rise of three per cent on last year.

But legitimate sites are booming and there are now 300 online music sites globally, 190 of them in 23 European countries.

Apple's iTunes has the largest selection, offering 1.5 million tracks. Napster is a close second offering 1.2 million tracks.

Source

These people need to just send me thier money and song list, and I'LL send them their songs...

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
These people need to just send me thier money and song list, and I'LL send them their songs...

:rolleyes: They just fear getting caught cause they don't know how to protect themselves.

I get alot of my music legally. Why not its a buck a song and I dont have to spend hours looking for the dog gone things. I also have music match on-demand too. It's great i can listen to almost every song in thier library any time i want. Why!!! Because I dont have to look for them. I dont have to worry about fakes. I dont have to worry about getting sued. I dont have to worry about quality. I dont have to worry about getting the right version. You get the idea. And i do know how to protect myself. In reality its just about the dont have to worry factor.

I get alot of my music legally. Why not its a buck a song and I dont have to spend hours looking for the dog gone things.  I also have music match on-demand too.  It's great i can listen to almost every song in thier library any time i want.  Why!!!  Because I dont have to look for them.  I dont have to worry about fakes.  I dont have to worry about getting sued. I dont have to worry about quality.  I dont have to worry about getting the right version.  You get the idea.  And i do know how to protect myself.  In reality its just about the dont have to worry factor.

You wouldn't have to worry if you knew what to look for and where to look for. I have gotten fakes before, but only a few. People think that just by seeing the title it has to be the correct one, you have to consider other things: bitrate, filename, etc (u get the idea). I'm not against paying for music, its your money not mine. I know that theres no protection that can be 100% safe, but you can get away if you D/L with Moderation, its easier for th xxAA to catch you if you D/L a lot everyday or on a regular basis. This is just my opinion :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

"Sales from January to June in the UK, France and Germany outstripped last year's total sales, reaching 180 million tracks compared to last year's 157 million."

I'll say its bullshit propaganda from music-industry; "Hey! Let us claim more people are actually buying our crapmusic, so more people will buy".

False numbers, false statistics. P2P for Free.

Edit: Read more about IFPI (the source of the "news") actvivities at http://techdirt.com/articles/20050922/0738219_F.shtml - They're going to delete files from PCs. Yepp. They've stepped over the line!

Archived